Chris Parkinson is a Partner in the firm’s Orlando office. He represents businesses, individuals and insurance company clients throughout the state of Florida in state and federal court litigation and in administrative proceedings.
Chris is a litigator who focuses on complex business disputes including the areas of labor and employment, director and officer liability, and contract disputes. His focus is on providing engaging, responsive and cost-effective representation to his clients in all stages of legal matters including general counsel services, pre-suit disputes and litigation.
In the commercial litigation context, Chris represents clients as follows:
- A broad range of contracts drafting, negotiations, modifications and litigation
- Director & Officer liability disputes including fiduciary responsibilities of officer and directors
- Errors & Omissions disputes including professional malpractice
- Business torts including civil fraud and misrepresentation
- Deceptive and unfair trade practices claims
- Trade Secrets disputes
- Injunction proceedings
- Arbitration proceedings including before the Florida Department of Business & Professional Services
- Mediation of commercial disputes of all kinds
- Commercial insurance coverage disputes
- HUD Discrimination Complaints
- Marketable Record Title Act disputes
- Advise new and established business owners on contracting with third parties including landlord-tenant issues, vendors, customers and employees
As an employment attorney, Chris represents clients as follows:
- Litigation in federal and state courts including defending against claims under federal, state and local laws and ordinances on discrimination, retaliation, leave and wage and hour
- Noncompete, nonsolicitation and trade secrets litigation
- Investigate and defend against investigations by federal and state agencies
- Conduct workplace investigations into claims by current and former employees, including whistleblower claims
- Preparing Statements of Position and responding to charges of discrimination/retaliation filed with the EEOC, FCHR and local agencies
- Participate in unemployment and workers’ compensation proceedings
- Advise and counsel on hiring and separation practices, compensation practices and employee relations
- Manage requests for leave under the ADA, FMLA and disability policies
- Develop practical and effective employment policies and procedures for new and established businesses
- Draft and review a variety of employment-related agreements, including independent contractor agreements, severance and separation agreements, release agreements, and noncompete and nonsolicitation agreements
- Preventative counseling on matters such as discrimination, retaliation, employment agreements and policies, employee classification, leave and wage and hour issues.
Chris joined Moran Kidd’s Litigation Department as an Associate in 2014, and became a Partner in the firm in December 2020. Chris brings a level of experience beyond his years including first-chair trial experience as an associate attorney. During law school, Chris clerked for one of the largest not-for-profit healthcare providers in Florida and the United States.
Chris’ academic success in Law School was highlighted by graduating in the top ten percent of his class. He was a Dean’s Scholarship recipient and earned book awards in Legal Research & Writing II, Torts I and Motions & Depositions. Furthermore, he was the Lead Articles Editor for the Environmental & Earth Law Journal and a member of its e-board. He took great pride in being a Dean’s Writing Fellow, mentoring and advising first year law students in their legal research and writing.
Prior to law school, Chris earned a Master’s Degree in Health Care Administration and coached Division III baseball while working towards his graduate degree.